Friday, December 7, 2012

What I've Learned in My 20's

Most of you who have been following this blog for a while know that my 20s are ending for me in just a couple of weeks. I'm approaching the big 3-0.
Did I tell you my birthday is the "end of the world"? Oh I didn't? I don't know why that would have slipped my mind.
Golly.
So yeah, my birthday is 12/21 AKA end of the Mayan calendar and blah, blah, blah.
Years ago I said, "I'm gonna be on a beach that day so if we all die, I'm at least in my happy place."
That's so not going to happen.
I'll be here, working, acting like it's any other day.

My point of all this is, I've been thinking a lot lately about my impending 30s and how I'm dreading them. I don't know why, I just am. I liked loved my 20s, and I kinda have a problem with change.
I have this feeling I'm going to wake up on December 21st and I'll be old. I'll be in my 30s. My boobs will sag, wrinkles will start and I'll enter menopause. No I don't seriously believe that, but you know what I mean. And for all of you ladies who are already in their 30s, I mean absolutely positively no disrespect.

It did make me start thinking and reminiscing about my wonderful 20s. I realized I learned a whole lotta crap. Hopefully it's all things that will help me in my 30s and so on.

So I put together a list of things I learned in my 20s. Maybe you'll laugh, maybe you'll learn. I know I did. If you're in your 20s take all the information and store it somewhere. If you're in your 30s or beyond please share your experiences as well. I'd love to hear them!

For most of us, your metabolism ssssllllloooooowwwwssss down. If you're going to eat Taco Bell at 2 am you better run a mile the next day.

College was a very fun time. Party, sleep, school, work, repeat. The real world wasn't real yet. I didn't have that many bills and I loved school.

I miss naps and sleeping past 8 am. That definitely changes when you get older.

My mother warned me, and I didn't believe her. You're going to lose touch with most of your high school friends and a lot of your college friends. The silver lining? The truest and best friends will make it through all the years.

You know how to make 20 bucks last a whole week because you bought groceries, paid the electric bill, bought those shoes you shouldn't have, etc.

Having a good time out with your friends is fine. Even taking pictures of you "having a good time" is fine. What's not fine? Posting those pictures on Facebook. No one needs to see that.

Yep, this picture was on FB.

You’re going to have people in your life who are toxic. They may say that they love you, they may say that they have your back, but they don’t. Get rid of them.

Your fashion, makeup, hair sense gets better as you head toward your middle to late twenties. Granted, if you think about it, times do change in a decade. Styles come and go, but come on! At twenty I was definitely wearing white eyeliner, didn't own a hair straightener and wore shirts that showed my midriff. (And this was all pre-Facebook so I have no pictures to show you, thank goodness)

You don't have to get married right out of college and pop out 3 kids by the time you're 29. I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm saying you don't have to. I have friends that did that. I also had friends who got married later and are just having kids now. Things are different then when our parents were younger.

I know it doesn't always work out this way, but try and love what you do. It makes it so much easier to get up in the morning.

Start a 401K as soon as humanly possible, you'll thank yourself at 60.

Parents and grandparents get older, holiday get togethers may change from Grandma's to your sister's house because she has a newborn baby. It sucks at first when there's change, especially to a yearly routine. It gets better, you adapt. 

The amount of baby showers, bridal showers, weddings and bachelorette/bachelor parties you will have to go to is INSANE. If you can't afford it, don't do it. Just make sure you still send a gift.

Sometimes it's best to put down the phone and/or computer. There is no reason to be plugged in 24 hours a day.

Get a nice luggage set with wheels. Dragging around a duffel bag through an airport is rough and painful. 

Dream big, don't settle, but don't get discouraged. Things don't happen overnight. You won't make $60,000 coming out of college. Just be patient and hard working.

Network, network, network and not just through LinkedIn.

If you're lucky you'll find that one person that you want to be with for the rest of your life. It doesn't always mean it's going to be perfect. Tim and I have been together 9 and a half years. We broke up 3 times and dated other people. Now, we're engaged. Relationships take work, but it's totally worth it.

If you can do it, travel. Because once you get the house, get married and have kids it's a heck of a lot harder to.

Tim and I in the Dominican

 The older you get, the better things get. At least that's what I've been told. 

So, what have you learned or are still learning in your 20s?

Happy Friday.



Don't forget to enter some fantastic giveaways going on right now!







♥ Erin


3 comments:

Mrs. Williams {Persnickety Plates} said...

I've got 122 days left in my 20s (really I'm counting down til our Mexico trip, not turning 30).

I so agree with your list.
My metabolism took a turn at 26.
Getting rid of toxic people is hard but so good.
In addition to the baby showers/wedding showers, the amount of kid birthday parties I've had to go to is ridiculous. & not so fun.

That's a great pic of you guys in the water - I love your bathing suit.

Here's to 30, lady! =)

Aubrey said...

i had no idea you have a too close to christmas crappy december birthday too. mine is the 22nd. i left my 20s a few years ago, and it was a little rough. since you already know what you learned in your 20s, here are a few things i have learned in my 30s...

life isn't over at 30.
weekends aren't always about fun anymore. sometimes you have to go to the store and do laundry.
if you didn't do it before, start that 401k like yesterday.
30 isn't old (at least that's what people tell me)
you're still the same person at 30 as you were at 29.

happy too close to christmas crappy december birthday! i hope the world doesn't end so you can actually celebrate.

Kristen said...

awwwwwww i love it. these are some great words of wisdom!