Thursday, September 27, 2012

My 16 Year Old Self Would Hate Me Right Now

I realize more and more everyday that I am getting old (I'm 29).
I mean, it happens. People get older and their priorities change.
Most people are told by their kids how uncool they are.
Well since I don't have any of those, I get told by my 14 year old sister.
Yes, I have a 14 year old sister. That's a story for another day.

Anyway.
I was truly blindsided by the fact that I am sometimes not aware of what's "cool".
I really thought I was hip and cool because I was finding things out before my friends were. 
I was keeping them in the loop and updated. 
I thought I was ahead of the curve. 
Apparently not.
I was just ahead of people who are the same age as me, and that doesn't count.

Fortunately, my sister is always there to help me through this tough and trying time.

I have kindly compiled a list of things that I didn't know were cool or just plain didn't know about at all. And yes, I do realize that compiling this also makes me a dork. Enjoy making fun of me.


1.) YOLO means "you only live once". Even though I've been listening to Drake for years, this was something I missed. Apparently just listening to Drake isn't enough to be cool.

2.) Who the hell is One Direction and why have they taken over my favorite radio station with absolute crap? I feel like my boy bands were way better than today's boy bands. Did NSYNC and Backstreet Boys annoy the crap out of people older than us?


3.) Any MTV awards show. I have not watched the VMA's or Movie Awards since MTV was still playing videos (which no one younger than me remembers). I had no idea these shows were still relevant considering people don't watch music videos anymore. You know, because no network actually shows music videos anymore. Silly me.

4.) That Harry Potter is cooler with my generation. Apparently the only acceptable book series to be talking about are the Twilight and Hunger Games series. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.


5.) I know some of you are all about this trend, but I grew up in the 80s and 90s. I already owned these and I just CANNOT get back on this fashion trend. There are some trends that just need to stay in their respective times. This is one of them to me. My sister bought a pair of floral jeans and my response was sticking my finger in my mouth and making a vomiting sound. Mature right? That's how I roll.

So there you have it. At least 5 reasons why I am out of touch.

Dear 16 year old Erin,

I dress better than you. But I still listen to much of the same music.

Kisses,
29 year old awesome Erin



So, what makes you "uncool"?









♥ Erin

4 comments:

NeuroticLover said...

I actually did watch the VMA's this year (I happened to catch a replay) and, without exaggeration, I knew who maybe half the oerformers/presenters were. I was like, huh, guess this means I'm old now.

NeuroticLover said...

I actually did watch the VMA's this year (I happened to catch a replay) and, without exaggeration, I knew who maybe half the oerformers/presenters were. I was like, huh, guess this means I'm old now.

Kristen said...

bahahahahahahahha i'm dying. i'm so freaking old too! we are so bbffs. we have to meet one day in person!

Giggles said...

I can tell you what is cool...I found you on the blog hop, my name is Erin too and I totally agreed with everything you just said. Oh and I have an almost 14 year old daughter that is still trying to convince I'm not cool....but she can kiss it. I'm still way cooler than her!!