Monday, September 24, 2012

Battle of the Blushes

First of all, can I just tell you I spent weeks on this post? That is dedication people.

This summer I became quite the collector of blushes. It started with one or two and then the next thing I knew, I had 5 different blushes. All five are different brands, different colors and even made from different products.

So why not review them for everyone?

The contenders:

1. bareMinerals Blush in Pink Tourmaline (color no longer available)

What they look like
In the summer when I have a nice tan going, I tend to go more for the coral shades. Whereas in the winter I lean more toward more of a pink color for a rosy cheek look. I feel like I have a good mix of both represented here. 

Time for my blush breakdown:

bareMinerals

I'm not really a fan of mineral blush to begin with. I feel it goes on too thick and doesn't blend very well which is exactly what this one does. I find it hard to get the right amount on your brush. There's either too much or too little. However, I am a fan of the color. It's a nice, bright pink.
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Sonia Kashuk

This is a really nice blush. The color looks matte in some lights and then shimmery in others. It's more on the coral side which is great for the warmer months. It's more of a subtle color and goes on evenly.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Sephora

I walked past this blush 3 or 4 times in the store before purchasing it. I was always a powder blush girl and was scared to venture out to cream blushes. In the end, I was really impressed with it and I'm glad I got it. The color is fantastic. When I wear this blush I don't need a bronzer, it's like a 2 in 1. It's also super easy to blend. I apply it on the apples of my cheeks with my finger, then use a blush brush to blend it back through my cheek bones. The color I have is a nice mix of coral and pink tones.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Stila

This blush was a recommendation from a girlfriend of mine. Basically, the powder reacts with your skin's pH to create a one-of-a-kind, customized shade. Which is great because every day I use it, it looks different. I was so nervous at first. They only carry two colors for this blush: coral and pink. Since I already had quite a few coral's, I bought the pink one. When you open the compact at first, all you see is the brightest pink. My first thought was, "I'm going to look ridiculous!" Boy was I wrong, it's amazing. Be careful, don't apply too much. It's easy to over do it. Give it a couple minutes to settle on your face before adding more. This is the most expensive of all the blushes I bought, priced at $20.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Maybelline

This blush is super weird. It's creamy, gel-like and wet all at the same time. At first I was like, "eww". The product shows up on your face as a matte color and is a little hard to blend. It definitely takes a little work. I apply it the same way I do the Sephora cream blush, but I have to blend more with my fingers than with the brush. Don't let the texture fool you, too much will cake on your face and you don't want that. Less is definitely more with one as well.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Ding, Ding, Ding

And the winner is...

Stila Custom Color Blush

Definitely my favorite blush ever. It's great to use in the summer and winter. I'm so glad I let my friend talk me into it. It's totally worth the $20!

Are you going to check out any of these blushes?
What are some of your go to blushes?










♥ Erin

2 comments:

tara said...

i've almost bought the stila blush so many times and now i know i seriously need to get it next time!

Kristen said...

i'm obsessed w blush. i really wanted to buy some nyx blush since it's 40% off right now at ulta, but ALL of them look exactly like mac ones. they did have a tangerine one, and although i love orange/peach, the yellow in my skintone looks disgusting paired w those shades.

i've never used a cream blush before, i feel like it would be too much work.