Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Passage Review


Usually in summer time, I'm into book #10 by August. Now granted, I did not have as much time this summer, but still...my other excuse was I was reading a mammoth book. Fo sho.

This book is not for the faint of heart or for the big print reader. This book is a massive 766 pages of super small, single type. You've read 10 chapters and feel like you've read 2, just get ready for that.

From goodreads:

“It happened fast. Thirty-two minutes for one world to die, another to be born.”

First, the unthinkable: a security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment. Then, the unspeakable: a night of chaos and carnage gives way to sunrise on a nation, and ultimately a world, forever altered. All that remains for the stunned survivors is the long fight ahead and a future ruled by fear—of darkness, of death, of a fate far worse.

As civilization swiftly crumbles into a primal landscape of predators and prey, two people flee in search of sanctuary. FBI agent Brad Wolgast is a good man haunted by what he’s done in the line of duty. Six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte is a refugee from the doomed scientific project that has triggered apocalypse. He is determined to protect her from the horror set loose by her captors. But for Amy, escaping the bloody fallout is only the beginning of a much longer odyssey—spanning miles and decades—towards the time and place where she must finish what should never have begun.

With The Passage, award-winning author Justin Cronin has written both a relentlessly suspenseful adventure and an epic chronicle of human endurance in the face of unprecedented catastrophe and unimaginable danger. Its inventive storytelling, masterful prose, and depth of human insight mark it as a crucial and transcendent work of modern fiction.

Let me preface my review by saying that I didn't know much about this book before I started reading it. Most importantly, I had no idea that it was a little sci-fi (but not enough to steer me away). I also had no idea it was about vampires. This ain't no Bella and Edward vampires, let me tell you. It's not even Bram Stoker vampires. I equate them more to the creatures in the movie I Am Legend, if you've seen that movie. These things scared the crap outta me, for real, and it was all based on how I imagined them.

Even though this book took me forever to get through (not because I didn't enjoy it), I am so happy I read it. It does leave you with a cliffhanger because it's part of a trilogy. The sequel is due out in October and I can't wait to grab it. Yes, I will purchase the hard cover because I want to read it like yesterday. Also, the film rights have been picked up by Ridley Scott's production group which is awesome. Unfortunately I have no idea how they're going to convert this book to movie. There's sooooo much information and to be honest I don't know how believable the creatures will look on screen. I feel like they could be done wrong and look corny instead of scary, but I digress. We'll see how that goes. Apparently they bought they rights in 2007, so they're not in a rush to move the book to film, if at all.

Anyway, the deep down core of this book is about relationships plain and simple and that's what I enjoyed over all. The suspense is crazy and it's action packed which kept me going, but in between all that you get to see people coping in a world different to anything of our own. 

This is one of the better books that I have read in a long time. I highly recommend it.

Have you read The Passage? What were your thoughts?

Are you on goodreads? Make sure you're my friend.












♥ Erin

2 comments:

Leanna Vera said...

This book sounds really interesting...I just added it to my "to read" shelf. Have you read Parable of the Sower? It's one of my favorites and The Passage seems similar.

SKB said...

That book sounds great. Can't wait to read it. I just started using goodreads and sent you a friend request.