Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Out With the Old...

And in with the new!

Makeup to me can be its own fashion statement. It's important to me to use products that work best for me and for a great price.


I would say for the last 5 maybe 6 years I have been a die hard bareMinerals foundation girl. Once I tried it I was hooked. Before that, I wasn't spending a whole lot of money on makeup for two reasons: I was totally content buying regular cheap makeup and I just didn't know any better. Please don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with cheap makeup. I use a good variety of high end and what I call "over the counter" makeup. I don't discriminate, I buy what looks best no matter how cheap or expensive (well maybe expensive, I do draw a line).

Basically, I was getting bored with the mineral makeup. It was time consuming and costly. Plus I felt that the mineral makeup ended up all over my counter, in my sink, everywhere! I was over it. I was ready for a change, I just didn't know what.

I had seen some ads for liquid foundation and really didn't want to go there because I hadn't used it in so long. It scared me to think about going back to it. I had only had bad experiences with it and didn't like it. Then I remembered I got a sample from Ulta for Benefit's Hello Flawless foundation. I thought what the heck and gave it a whirl. It blew my mind.

I still wasn't sold. So I headed into Ulta and tried a bunch of liquid foundations like Smashbox, Urban Decay, Tarte, you name it. I was still sold on Hello Flawless. There was one thing I had a problem with, I needed slightly more coverage. The wonderful staff at Ulta recommended two things. I could also purchase the Hello Flawless powder. Now I was spending $50 total on bareMinerals and I wanted to find a cheaper solution. The Hello Flawless foundation was $34 which was reasonable. The powder was also $34 so jumping from $50 to $68 was not an option for me (which they understood). So they recommended another great product that saves me a ton of money.



The Revlon Photoready Powder is perfect for adding a little bit of coverage on top of my liquid foundation. I feel like it just helps smooth out the liquid. Also, the foundation doesn't match my skin tone perfectly and this helps to correct that. At a retail price of $10 and a grand total of $44, I not only save myself $6, but time (I get this on in half the time) and I'm also getting more bang for my buck. The liquid and powder combo won't run out as quick as the mineral makeup.

I'm very happy with my recent change. Curious to know what my complete beauty routine is?

Step 1:

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser
read my review
Step 2:
e.l.f. Eye Brightener
Step 3:

Benefit Hello Flawless in Honey
Step 4:

Revlon Photoready Powder in Light/Medium
Once my base is done, I follow with a bronzer and blush. It's a great routine and I'm in love with how it looks, how much it costs and how quick it goes on.

What's your current beauty routine? Have you tried any new beauty product that's out of your comfort zone?












♥ Erin

4 comments:

Leanna Vera said...

I've been struggling with the same issues with Bare Minerals. Every time I put it on, my countertops and clothes get covered in it. Unfortunately, I have super sensitive skin so I can't use anything but mineral makeup.

My typical makeup routine is primer, bare minerals foundation, concealer, bronzer, eyeliner, eye shadow, and mascara. I like a more natural look so I use a very subtle bronzer, brown eyeliner, and a light shimmery gold eye shadow.

My-cliffnotes said...

Ooh I love new makeup

tara said...

gotta love new makeup!! i have been wanting to try the maybelline age rewind!

hklover86 said...

when i first heard of that i wanted to try it and now that you have, i want to try it even more!!!