Thursday, June 28, 2012

How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes Tutorial

I don't care who you are, if you wear makeup, you at least have one makeup brush. Taking care of those brushes is very important for many reasons. It adds to the longevity of the brush (and in some cases they are not cheap) and most importantly it gets rid of all the dirt, oil, bacteria and makeup that stays on those brushes long after you're done using them. Eww!

I try to wash my brushes at least once a month. That may not seem like enough to some of you, but here's my reasoning. I have simple skin. That may irritate a lot of you, but it's the truth. I don't break out a whole lot, I'm not overly oily, I'm not overly dry, etc. It's not perfect, don't get me wrong, it's just not high maintenance. That's what works for me, everyone is different. I also don't use liquid products so that helps AND I clean my powder and eyeshadow brushes after every use with a spray on cleaner.


This is perfect for an in between or spot cleaning. All you do is spray and gently wipe back and forth on a paper towel until the color is gone. It smells great, is reasonably priced and is available at Ulta.

I want to start by saying that I did not come up with this. I straight up stole it from Pinterest. I tried out a few tutorials that I found on there and this was the best one by far. Here's the original link:



I actually re-did her tutorial and documented it with pictures so I could share with all my awesome readers!! Yay!

Note: I have so many brushes, I had to do them in steps. I started with the big ones and did the smaller ones next.


1.) Start with a plastic cup (I used a clear one so it was better to show you) and put a THIN layer of shampoo on the bottom. It doesn't matter what kind of shampoo, any kind will do.

2.) & 3.) Place the brushes down into the cup so that the bristles get the shampoo on them. You can twist them around a little bit to make sure the tops of each brush has shampoo on them.

4.) Run warm water and put the cup under the faucet so that you fill the cup up with about an inch of water (don't fill the water above the silver piece of the brush). Make sure every brush gets a good mix of shampoo and water.


Note: I took these pictures by myself so it was hard to show how to do this properly.

5.) Wet your hand with warm water and take one brush out at a time and move it in a circular motion in the palm of your hand creating suds. The suds will be dirty, it's ok. You may have to rinse your hand and repeat a few times to really make sure you're getting the dirt and makeup out of there.

6.) Once you feel that you have loosened up all the dirt/makeup in the brush, move your hand under the water while continuing moving brush in circular motion. Keep doing so until water runs clean of makeup and suds. You may want to alternate squeezing out the brush and rubbing it on your hand. Be sure to hold the brush at a downward angle so water doesn't flow back up into it.

This is what it looked like with my smaller brushes.


7.) Completely wring out excess water and re-shape the bristles. (I did this part a little differently than her) Lay the brushes flat to dry (I put them on a paper towel too) for about 12 hours, then move brushes to the edge of the counter so that all sides of the brush are able to breathe and dry thoroughly for another 12 hours.

Voila! You now have clean brushes!

How do you clean your brushes? Was this a helpful tutorial?


In case you didn't know already, I've got a giveaway going on right now! If you like beauty products, you'll like this. Go enter and grab my button!






Everything According to Erin










♥ Erin

5 comments:

Neely said...

This is very very helpful! Thanks friend :)

Mrs. Williams {Persnickety Plates} said...

The last couple weeks I keep telling myself "this weekend I'm going to clean my brushes". Then I don't. I have two sets that I rotate out so while one is drying, I can use the other. I am lazy.

tara said...

i wash mine every couple weeks and i am always grossed out by how filthy they were! lol

Kristen said...

i do my brushes pretty similar, almost identical. i hate cleaning brushes. it's so time consuming.

Amber said...

I HATE cleaning brushes... and actually did mine this past weekend when I checked into my hotel. I brought a small bottle of baby shampoo, wet the brush and put a dab of shampoo on each brush. Swirled it in my hand, rinsing as needed until it was clean, then swirled it on a towel to make sure it was clean. I let them dry overnight, hanging over the counter top, and then reshaped in the morning. It's amazing how much better my makeup went on Saturday morning.
I may have to try this way though :)