Monday, March 26, 2012

"Favorite of the Week" Link Up #20 & A Movie Review

Everything According to Erin


I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! Did you get to see the Hunger Games? Well I got to see it...twice. I know I'm not shocking any of you by this, but my favorite of the week has to be the biggest movie of the year.

So I had the pleasure of seeing this movie twice this weekend. I saw it on Friday with my sister for her birthday. I took her to see the IMAX version with the tickets I had won from Lionsgate. Then, Tim and I went to see it Sunday afternoon.

First off, the IMAX version gave me a wicked headache. I've never had good luck with IMAX movies in a traditional IMAX theater. I was in pain half way into it. So when I went to see it again in a regular theater I thought I'd be able to concentrate more on the movie. Well I was kinda right. There are a lot of scenes (especially in fighting scenes) that are shot from a hand held camera, not many panned shots where the camera is steady. I realized later that the reason for this is probably because of the PG-13 rating. It left a little more to be desired, but I understand why they did it. I mean, the book is violent, but they wanted to stay true to the young adult fan base. So in certain scenes where there is fighting or Katniss is running through the woods, it's very hard to actually see what is going on. One of my few cons about the movie.

Casting...AMAZING. Unlike Twilight where I was super disappointed about almost every character, they got every character to a T for the Hunger Games. I was never worried about Jennifer Lawrence, but she blew me away. I was so impressed though with Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks and Lenny Kravitz. They all played their characters exactly how they should be. No complaints here. Favorite line of the movie HAD to be Effie, " (Gasp) That is mahogany!" So her!

Special effects were great, when you're reading the book some of the things described (especially in the arena) are hard to visualize. I think they did a great job of bringing it to life. I was also impressed at the scenes that were added that were not in the book. Everything is from Katniss' perspective so you just aren't previewed to certain things. In the movie you were, it was really nice to see the interaction between Seneca Crane and President Snow and Seneca Crane and Haymitch. It filled in some gaps. I also really liked the fact that they added the riot in District 11 scene. You don't even know about this in the book. I personally liked the addition.

I was a little disappointed with the amount of time spent on developing Peeta's and Katniss' relationship. I understand it's a movie and some things just can't make it in, but I felt like they should have developed it a little more. By the time the games had started, Katniss was already feeling something for Peeta she just wasn't letting it in because she knew she had to let him go. I just felt in the movie it was portrayed to be too forced. If that makes sense. At the end Haymitch tells Katniss how she needs to act desperately in love to save their lives after the arena, so she goes over the top to make people believe. She has feelings for Peeta, she's just finally getting to deal with them. It was my impression that the movie made it seem more fake then it was. That's just my perspective.

As far as changes and cuts, I wasn't too disturbed by them. I think they made it work. You can't fit everything into two and a half hours. It would have been nice to spend a little more time in District 12, but I'm sure we will once Catching Fire comes out. What did you think about The Hunger Games?

What's your favorite of the week?










♥ Erin

2 comments:

Miss K said...

i can't wait to see it, hopefully this weekend!

Meghan said...

I thought I was the only one who got a headache from the movie! I absolutely loved it, but the constant motion was a bit much!