Thursday, February 9, 2012

I heard a nasty little rumor...

So one of my clients who is a buyer for a major department store told me a little secret yesterday and I'm not sure how to take it. She swore to me (up and down) that the company she works for (I won't name names) sells fake handbags (mostly Coach). And that I should only get my Coach bag from a Coach store or Coach Factory Outlet. WHAT?? She also told me there have been many instances where uninformed employees will unknowingly take back a fake purse in a return and re-sell it. OMG! Now I have no proof and I don't even know this woman that well, but I was floored. Now I usually buy my Coach bags at a Coach store, but I have bought many other brands from this department store. I even researched it online and there were a lot of forums dedicated to it. Wow, I did not know this at all.


The reason I wanted to post about it was because I wanted everyone's opinions, stories, reaction, etc. I'm in no way accusing a company (that's why I did not name them). I'm not an investigative reporter, but I don't like posting anything without facts.

So, have you heard about things like this going on? Have you ever been duped into buying a fake handbag?







♥ Erin

8 comments:

Jennifer B said...

Seriously?!?!?! It better not be Macys because I have bought a couple from them before.

Cole said...

I've heard that it can - happen where an uninformed sales person takes back a fake purse and re-sells it. But I have never heard that it happens often. Or *EVER* on purpose. Who knows though...I guess it could happen. It would make me completely lose faith in buying my bags from any place other than the company websites or factory stores.

Krystal said...

I believe it. I worked at Macy's and people would try to return EVERYTHING...and who was I to know what was real and what was fake. If the tags rang up correctly and matched the reciept, that's all I could do. I'm not a cop! I know for sure I took back jeans that were not Guess but she had the correct tags on them and it matched the reciept...so that's all I could do. Everything went to the back though so managers could see what was returned and the jeans were obviously discovered and damaged out and whatnot.

But, I'm sure this happens more often than not....we just have to hope that the retail managers take the extra second to make sure all the merchandise is correct before placing it back out on the floor.

tara said...

Wow. That's crazy!!

Ashlee Miller said...

OMG that is crazy! I hope it's not Dillards or Von Maur! I usually buy them at the COACH store or outlet.

star said...

Omg, this is ridiculous! 95% of the time, I buy my Coach purses at the Coach store or Coach online, but I do have 2 or 3 I purchased at Macy's. I will be sure to NEVER buy another one anywhere else but Coach!

Caroline said...

That's scary. Thanks for sharing.

Miss K said...

good to know! thanks for sharing. that's so crazy!!