Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Weekend Recap: Snowtober

You're getting this post a day late because here in the Northeast, we had this little thing called a nor'easter hit this weekend AND COMPLETELY SCREW EVERYTHING UP!

Ok (woosa) now that I've got that out of my system, I thought I'd give you guys a break down of how my Halloween weekend went.

On Friday I had a trade show to attend for work that was about an hour and a half away. I was supposed to be there until about 7 pm on Friday and then go back Saturday from 7-3. Well, as the weather reports started coming in, my boss pulled the plus on my Saturday attendance (which I was thankful for). Now, at this point the all knowing weather people said 2-4 inches maybe and that 2-4 inches was supposed to be mixed with rain. In the Philly area, that's really no big deal. I laugh at that kind of weather. So I come home late Friday night, meet a girlfriend for drinks and head home early because I'm exhausted.

By the time I went to bed I think they had idea that things weren't going to go as planned and posted this picture on Twitter:

Power outages for 2-4 inches of rain and snow? Are you serious?

So I go to bed...and wake up to this:

Back yard at about 10 am

Front yard at about 4 pm
I took this picture of my phone at 6:28 pm.

The last picture I just had to show you guys because according to it, it should have been raining at my house. Wrong. It was snowing even harder than it had all day. I guess a nor'easter is like a hurricane and it just hovers and rotates over an area. So this "storm" that was only going to drop 2-4 inches dropped almost 10 inches in some areas!

Now here's the interesting part...since it's October, there are still leaves on the trees which makes trees much heavier than they normally are for a winter storm. This caused trees and branches down everywhere, which caused roads to be closed and power lines to be down as well. I wish I had picture of the destruction around my house, but I was either driving or it was too dark for my little iPhone. We lost power during breakfast at about 11:30 am Sunday morning and it came back on around 12:30 on Monday. We were the lucky ones. I know people who are still without power and have trees that came through their houses.

Here's an example of what some neighborhoods looked like by my house:

via My Central Jersey

via The Morning Call

So, what did I do during my "snowed in weekend" you ask? Well I did quite a few things. Before the weather got too bad on Saturday, my sister and I went to the movies to see:

Paranormal Activity 3
Let me just start off by saying how unbelievably disappointed I was in this movie. I thought the first one was dumb, the second one was scary and thought the third would blow them both out of the water. Boy was I wrong. Not one scene from the previews was in the movie, NOT ONE! And they tried to explain why these things were happening to these people, but they kinda only explained parts. So you were confused. I'm so glad it was a matinee and I only spent $8 on it. I'm really bitter about it because I had much higher expectations for it.

By the time we got out of the movie, the roads were getting so bad. I wanted to head up to Ulta to use my 20% off coupon and I couldn't. This storm was really starting to piss me off. The rest of my day was spent relaxing around my house. We also watched:

Fast Five
Surprisingly this movie wasn't bad and left a decent cliffhanger at the end which means they're totally making another one.

On Sunday after breakfast, since our power had taken a crap, I took my sister to Ulta so I could pick up a few things even though my coupon expired.

L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara

Lorac Bejeweled Palette Trio

Topaz, Quartz and Amethyst
The trio was actually a really good price ($34) and I still got to use a coupon on the mascara that I had. Review to come soon!

Nobody wanted to change dinner plans so my parents were intent on making the dinner they had planned. That meant using the grill and eating dinner by candle light. My step mom found an awesome appetizer that I just had to share.
via Family Circle
For the record, I love cheese and goat cheese is one of my faves. Even if you aren't a huge goat cheese fan I highly recommend it because you can't really taste it. You have to mix it with cream cheese, honey and thyme which really mask the flavor of the cheese. Here's the recipe if you're interested:

Ingredients:

4 ounces plain goat cheese, room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup pistachios, chopped

Blend cheeses, honey and thyme in a stand mixer. Mix on medium speed until combined.
Transfer mixture to work surface with a spatula. Form into a ball and roll in the pistachios. Refrigerate 1 hour. When firm, reshape if needed. Plate and serve with crackers or a baguette sliced and toasted.

I capped off my evening by heading over to a friends to watch:

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Eagles lay a massive beat down on the Cowgirls (sorry Neely).

Thank goodness I was prepared for all this snow with a present that came in the mail Thursday night before all the mayhem happened!

H&M neck warmer
Danielle at Sweet Nothings graciously picked up one of these for me and few other ladies when she heard we couldn't find them at our local H&M's. Well it was perfect timing because I haven't taken it off since I got it. Thanks Danielle!

As you can see we didn't get a chance to celebrate Halloween this year :( oh well. I have to say I'm liking everyone's costumes I've been seeing in posts and Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Ok, now that I've written the longest post ever I'll let you go now. A couple of things going on this week: I've signed up for 3 blog swaps for November (I know, I'm out of my freaking mind), entered about a million giveaways (thanks to Neely), have a linkup starting any day now, and a giveaway planned for hopefully next week. Whew! I'm exhausted.

By the way, you should probably get a head start and make sure you follow me on Facebook and Twitter because there will be entries for the giveaway associated with them. While you're at it you should probably follow me on Pinterest as well (make it a trifecta).

I hope your weekend was just as eventful as mine.








♥ Erin

5 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Eagles pull off the impressive victory too. :)

Those snow pictures are crazy. I'm so glad we didn't get any snow down here. October is way to early for that kind of weather!

Lyndsay @ Simply Lyndsay

Kristine said...

I just watched Paranormal Activity 2 and I’m kind of excited to see the 3rd one. I get scared easily though and NEVER watch scary movies so I will probably find it terrifying, haha. I LOVED Fast Five! I am still baffled about the cliffhanger… can’t wait until May 2013! Actually Kenny’s probably more excited than I am.
Love that you have entered three blog swaps! :)

Kiley said...

I loved Fast Five, too, haha. And I NEVER like those movies.

those eye shadows look awesome! Excited to hear your review!

Jules said...

Oh my gosh, that's nuts! You got so much more snow than we did. Saturday was just a ton of freezing rain down here and it made the roads really slippery.

I'm sorry you didn't like PA3. It did scare me and I liked it, just not the ending. I also thought it was strange that the none of the scenes from the previews were in the movie.

I love your H&M neck warmer!

Miss K said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! so happy danielle was able to get you that scarf! i still haven't been able to wear mine yet bc the warm weather :( i'm super jealous.