Friday, February 25, 2011

West Coast Chili


I bought yet another Taste of Home recipe book at the grocery store the other day (I have a serious problem). This one is called "Party Food". Are any of you shocked that I picked it up? Of course not! Anyway, you've seen my other chili recipe (post) which is a hit among all my friends. I thought this one looked interesting, and you know how I love to try new things! I got tons of compliments on this, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's soooo tasty. The only change I made was that I left out the beans (we don't like each other). Enjoy, and as always let me know how you like it if you try it!

Ingredients:

1 lb. sliced bacon, diced
2 lbs. beef stew mean, cut into 1/4-in cubes
2 medium onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup honey
4 tsp. beef bouillon granules
1 bay leaf
1 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. baking cocoa
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs. Dijon mustard
1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
3 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Shredded cheddar cheese

In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings.
Brown beef in drippings. Add onions and garlic; cook until onions are tender. Return bacon to pan. Stir in the next 12 ingredients.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
Add beans and hear through. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with cheddar cheese.

*I have a gas stove and I wasn't about to let my gas run for 3 hours so I brought everything to a boil and then transferred it to a crock pot and cooked it on low for about 4 hours. It was perfect!







♥ Erin

No comments: