Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2 New Recipes

This past weekend I decided to try a couple new recipes. We were heading over to a friend's house to watch football and I wanted to bring a new appetizer and dessert. Both recipes turned out really well, but I'm not sure if I'll add them to my recipe book. I might change them up a little bit the next time I make them.

Jalapeno Popper Dip

2 (8 oz.) cream cheese packages
1 cup mayo
4 oz. green chilies, chopped
4 oz. jalapeno, chopped
4 cups Parmesan cheese

Blend cream cheese and mayo together; add chilies and jalapenos. Spread mixture in 11 x 7 or 9 x 13 pan and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

*To save time I used canned jalapenos. I recommend buying fresh ones and chopping them yourself. Also, I chose an Italian blend of shredded cheeses instead of straight Parmesan and I think it turned out better. If I make this again, instead of plain can of chilies, I'll add a whole can of tomatoes and chilies. Serve with tortilla chips.

This is before I baked it


Ribbon Crispies

1/2 cup butter, cubed
2 jars (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
11 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 to 1-1/2 cups peanut butter
1 to 1-1/2 cups hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in marshmallow creme until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in cereal until blended. Press half of the mixture into a greased 11 x 7 pan; spread with peanut butter. Carefully spread with hot fudge topping. Press remaining cereal mixture over fudge layer. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.

*I didn't bother heating up the chocolate because I made this dish in the morning so there was really no point. I'm not sure it matters either way. For an added touch, Tim drizzled a little of the chocolate on top for decoration as well. This really is a great dessert, but I love plain Rice Krispies treats so much that I prefer them plain. Shortening was key in making this. It's great to grease the pan with and grease any utensils you use so you can work fast to get the cereal where it's supposed to be. You have such a short window while the marshmallow stays hot that you really have to rush a little to make this.

This is halfway finished (side view)

This is halfway finished (top view)

Finished product







♥ Erin

1 comment:

Miss K said...

both of those look so yummy!!