Friday, November 5, 2010

Winter Coat Controversy

I am in dire need of a new winter coat this year. The one I have is 4 years old and it doesn't keep me all that warm. It's a Columbia coat so it's a good coat, but I really want a down coat this year. I feel like they insulate better than the shell/lined coats (which is what I have currently). This is something that will most likely end up on my Christmas list this year. I've found a few that I like and I need your opinion. I'm more focused on warmth than style, but you know me...I can't look like the Michelin man! Let me know what you guys think!
This so far is my first choice. I couldn't find the exact picture of the one I want. This is the Gotham jacket which is no longer available. The one I want looks almost identical, it's just a little longer. It's the North Face Low Down Fur jacket in black.

This next one is the Sundown Express Down jacket from Eddie Bauer. The reason I checked this store out was because they say they have been "#1 in down 70 years running". This was only style that matched what I was looking for. I do like it, but unfortunately this coat isn't available in black.

This is the Dory Down jacket by Lands End which I really like. All the reviews for it said it was really warm. The website claims it will keep you warm even in -15 - 10 degree weather. I like that it has a detachable fur hood, comes in black and is waterproof as well.

Columbia has two jackets that I am interested in. This one is their Alpine Attitude. It has their Omni Heat and Omni Shield technologies. Omni Heat uses thermal reflective technology to keep you warm, sounds good to me! The Omni Shield refers to water and stain resistance which I also need.

The second coat that caught my eye from Columbia was this Melange Maven coat. This one is exactly like the one above, but it doesn't have the Omni Heat technology which I think I'm going to want after I read about it.


So what do you guys think? I really really love the North Face one, but it's the most expensive at $239. Ultimately it's going to come down to the North Face and Columbia jackets. I'm going to have to go try on both jackets and see which one I like better. Both have great reviews, it's really the price that's getting me. The Columbia jacket is only $175. Even though I really do like the Eddie Bauer jacket as well, I just feel like North Face and Columbia might have a leg up on winter coats.




♥ Erin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a down jacket from eddie bauer and its AMAZINGLY warm!! I love it! ~Lindsay

Brittany said...

I completely agree with you! The northface is my fav, and if you plan on wearing it for a while I'd say go with that! But you can never go wrong with a good columbia jacket! Which is what i'll be purchasing this year! :)

Miss K said...

The northface one is my fave too, but i also really like the columbia ones (i think the first one over the second, but i like both).