Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pumpkin Layer Cake

My contribution to Thanksgiving Linner on Sunday (see my earlier post today) was a 4 layer pumpkin cake. I was very nervous to make this because I had never made a cake bigger than 1 layer. I have to say I was very proud of myself because it turned out great and it was a big hit. It's actually a very easy recipe and it's great for feeding a lot of people. If you need to make a smaller version it can be easily converted to a smaller 2 layer cake. It's also a great recipe for the fall season whether you make it around Halloween or later in the season at Thanksgiving. I should have done more pictures of the steps, but sorry guys I didn't think about it until after it was done. I was too busy concentrating on it so it didn't fall over! Enjoy.

Four-Layer Pumpkin Cake

1 pkg. (2 layer size) yellow cake mix
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip
1/4 cup caramel
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Directions:
Heat oven at 375 degrees. Beat cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp. pumpkin spice in a large bowl. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 in. round pans. Bake 28-30 minutes, cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, cool completely. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until creamy. Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and spice; mix well. Stir in Cool Whip. Cut each layer horizontally; stack on serving plate, spreading filling between layers (not on top). Drizzle with caramel and nuts just before serving.

*I wanted to give you a couple pointers that I learned while making this...since I had such a busy weekend and couldn't make it all on Sunday, I made the cake portion 2 days prior and froze it. That was really nice because while I made the icing I let the cake thaw out and it was easier to stack and spread the icing. Also, when you're cutting the layers in half the best technique is to have another person help you. Instead of cutting it with a serrated knife, use string or plain dental floss. It makes it so much easier and cuts it evenly through. Stand on either side of the cake and have one person hold it down by gently pressing on the top. Each person take an end of the string or floss and use a saw motion through it. Thank you to my wonderful grandma who told me that trick











♥ Erin

No comments: