Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Healthy Snack Ideas

I work in an office that always has snacks around that are not good for you. I also don't want to buy something everyday at the cafeteria either. So when I head to the supermarket I pick up things that I can take into work to save money and save my figure too. For breakfast I have my coffee or tea along with a 1/2 cup of low or non fat cottage cheese and some sort of fruit. For a change I'll try this recipe:


Honeycrisp Parfait

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 chopped honeycrisp apple
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

This is a fantastic breakfast and keep you full for hours.

Sometimes, however, I will need a snack to get me through until lunch. Instead of going for a bagel with cream cheese or something sweet that's in my office, I'll try a snack like this:


Hearty Whole Grain Toast with Avocado and Tomato

1 slice whole grain toast
1/4 avocado
1-2 slices tomato
1 tsp. olive oil
lemon squeeze

Sometimes if I'm bored with my normal lunch, I'll eat 2 slices of this for lunch instead of a snack. The only downside to this recipe is that avocado is good only for a day so it's hard to only use a quarter of it for this snack without wasting the rest.

I also recommend Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chips that I made last month as a snack. You can click on the link for the full recipe. I highly recommend slicing the potato as thin as you can. The thicker the cut, the harder it is to get them crispy. Feel free to cook them a little longer than the 30 min., but watch for them to burn. If they are still too soggy leave out over night on a paper towel to dry out.

If you don't feel like preparing anything, I also recommend yogurt as a good snack. Here are some of my faves (I try to get the ones around 100 calories):





For lunch, my go to food is soup. It easy, quick and usually isn't all that fatty (depending what you choose). I love tomato soup, I could eat it every day (sometimes I do). I usually buy these:



They usually have them in 4-5 different kinds so I can rotate them. Each bowl has 2 servings, but I eat the whole thing. It's not that much. Total calories 320.

I try to follow all of this, but sometimes I do splurge. I just don't go overboard anymore. It took a lot of time for me to get used to having a job where I sit at a desk and don't get as much exercise. I had to change how I ate or I knew I would be unhappy with myself. As I've gotten older I've learned I need more water too, so I cut out soda during the week as well. Since I started doing all of this I have noticed a huge change in my body for the better.




♥ Erin

5 comments:

Miss K said...

YUMMY! I'm def going to try these! i've totally slacked off on my diet/workout plan, but hope to be up and running soon!@

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

avacado and tomatoe is sounding GOOD right now!!!

PS … ~Join In on the Tiptoe Butterfly Necklace Give-Away Here~


*kiss kiss*
Erika @ ~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Wendy said...

The avocado and tomato looks tasty! I've been on an avocado kick recently so I'll definitely be trying this!!

Snack-Girl said...

Great post! All of these snacks look so amazing. My favorite website for healthy snack ideas is http://www.snack-girl.com/

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!! I tried your avocado and tomato on toasts. You really had a great idea there. I never would have thought of that!!!! I also added some salt which really enhanced the flavor - you should try it, and tell me what you think.