Friday, July 30, 2010

Red Chili Enchilada Meat Loaf

I got this great new cookbook at the supermarket a couple weeks ago and have been dying to try some of the recipes. So finally the other night I decided to try the Red Chili Enchilada Meat Loaf. Now, whenever I try a recipe for the first time I always follow it exactly. With that said, I would have made just a few changes, but for the most part I liked it. Tim and our neighbors loved it, but I tend to be a little more critical of my cooking. First of all there was way too much corn muffin mix, I should have never used the whole amount. And secondly, I wouldn't cook it for the full 50 minutes. I have a gas oven so I usually under cook things because our oven cooks things super fast. It's definitely an interesting take on a boring old meat loaf recipe. I will make it again, but of course I'll cater it more to our tastes.

1 egg
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef
1 8.5 ounce corn muffin mix
2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
Salsa (optional)
Tortilla strips, fried (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine egg, onion, 1/4 cup salsa, chili powder, garlic and salt; add meat; mix well. Shape into a ball. Place mixture in a 9-inch pie plate; flatten to a 6-inch circle.
Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread corn muffin batter over meat in pie plate. Bake 50 minutes or until inside of meat registers 160 degrees. Remove from oven. Halve cheese slices and arrange on top of corn muffin mixture. Cover loosely; let stand 10 minutes before serving.

*If you use the 8.5 ounce corn muffin mix you will have tons of left over once you coat the meat. I poured the whole thing on top because it told me too so I had a thick shell of corn muffin surrounding it. It was good, but if you're looking only for a light coating you should buy a smaller amount of the mix. While I was at the store I saw 6 and 7 ounce packages as well. Also, the meat loaf can dry out faster than you think so watch your bake time. I also could have used a little more kick to it, so next time I'll add more chili powder and maybe even some crushed red pepper.

So you can see how much corn muffin there is with this from this picture. I'm glad I didn't take a picture of it before we at it because it looked like a pie with cheese on top. This is what it's supposed to look like...

I guess I need to start trying harder with my presentation. I just always forget because I'm so excited to start eating! I'll work on that.







♥ Erin

No comments: