Wednesday, June 30, 2010

OCMD Checklist


Tomorrow I leave for Ocean City, Maryland with some friends for the long holiday weekend. I've been looking forward to this trip for about a month now. I will be sans dog and BF, not that I don't love having them around...jk. Tim and Dakota are traveling to PA for a 4th of July party that we attend every year (and that I've been catching crap for skipping out on this year). Anyway, each person is in charge of or contributes to one night of meals. I have been asked to make my famous enchiladas and mexican dip. For those of you who don't know about my mexican dip, I apologize. It is a staple appetizer that I have been making for years. I'm usually not allowed to make anything new because people love this dish so much. So if I want to try something new, I also have to make the mexican dip. Here is the recipe if you haven't seen me post about it before.

Shredded Lettuce
1 Tomato
1-2 Peppers
Scallions (I buy 1 bunch of them)
1 Package of Shredded Mexican Cheese
16 oz. of Sour Cream
16 oz. of Old El Paso Taco Sauce (2 bottles, your choice of spice)
16 oz. of Cream Cheese (2 packages)

Combine sour cream, cream cheese and taco sauce with hand mixer until mostly smooth (it's ok if there are a couple of lumps still). Pour mixture into baking dish or brownie pan (13x9 is the best size). Spread lettuce over top evenly, followed by tomatoes, then peppers, then scallions. Cover dish with entire bag of shredded cheese evenly. Refrigerate until use.

*You can make this dish using less of the cream cheese and taco sauce. I have always doubled the recipe because I usually make for a lot of people. The original recipe has 8 oz. of cream cheese and 8 oz. of taco sauce. Also, the original recipe calls for black olives that I don't add because unless they're drained properly they water down the dip. That and the fact that Tim hates olives.

Over the years I have perfected my mother's enchilada recipe. It started out as a very simple recipe that Tim and I have perfected since we moved in together. The first time I made them for anyone other than Tim was in Hilton Head a couple years ago, since then my friends have been hooked. I don't have a recent picture so I'm using a generic picture from a website, but here is my perfected recipe.
1 lb. ground meat
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can yellow corn
1 can tomatoes and chilies
crushed red pepper
chili powder
salt & pepper
soft flour tortillas
1 package mexican or spanish rice (optional)
1 small jar of Tostito's salsa
1 cup of shredded taco cheese

Brown meat (works for turkey, beef, venison or chicken) and drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, corn and tomatoes and chilies. Simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes and add in spices to taste. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and add a few spoonfuls of meat mixture and rice to a flour tortilla. Roll tortilla so mixture will not fall out and place in baking dish. Top with half a jar of salsa and shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

I have also been asked to be in charge of music for the trip. So I'm bringing this...


and this...filled with songs like this...

Black Eyed Peas - Rock That Body
Billy Joel - Allentown
Adina Howard - Freak Like Me
Britney Spears - I'm A Slave 4 U
Dave Matthews Band - Two Step
Bloc Party - Banquet
Enrique Iglesias feat. Pitbull - I Like It
Kanye West - Workout Plan
Lady Gaga - Alejandro
Lost Boys - Renee
MIA - Paper Planes
Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
OAR - Love and Memories
Will Smith - Summertime
Korn - Got the Life
...Just to name a few (I can't give the whole playlist away)

Must haves for a 4th of July weekend at the beach...




Seriously, that's all I'm gonna need. For 4 days straight I'll be at 1 of 2 places:
or
in the bay at Seacrets. Can you tell how excited I am?





♥ Erin

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Have fun! Super jealous! and the dip looks excellent!

Anonymous said...

wahoo the long awaited mexican dip recipe!! this stuff is amazing!!!!!!!
-Wendy