Thursday, May 6, 2010

Carry On Necessities

Everybody has their own system when it comes to what they pack in their carry-on bag. I don't fly as often as I used to, but when I do there are certain staples that are always in my carry-on or purse.

My iPhone has been one of the best gifts I have ever gotten. I don't think I could live without it. Whenever I travel, I make sure my itinerary and any important phone numbers for the trip are stored in it. I never have to go searching for the airlines number or my travel agent, it's all there in my phone. I also recently downloaded an app called Trip Case that stores all my flight, hotel and transfer information so I don't have to carry around as much paperwork. It also tells me the weather at the airport I'm flying into along with a map of the city just in case I'm stuck and have to get a hotel. My favorite feature is that it gives you alternative flights around the same time if you should ever need to change planes. The connections feature actually sends updates to people you chose to let them know you got to your destination or so they know your flight is on time to come pick you up. Technology today is amazing. The iPhone is also very useful when you put it on airplane mode so you can still play games on it and take pictures.


Duh! Do I really need to explain this? Maybe if I have time this week I'll post a good flying playlist. We shall see!

Planes are one huge petri dish. Think about how many planes are in the air daily and how many destinations they go to and how many people come in contact with just your seat...it's enough to make you want to become bubble boy. Hand sanitizer is key. It may not prevent you from getting sick off the recycled air, but it will keep you sane after using the bathroom. Make sure you get the travel size so you can take it on board. I got mine at Target next to all the travel size toiletries and it's 2 oz. which is under the amount you're allowed to bring in your carry-on.

I advise one of these for a long flight to Europe or over to the west coast. I don't sleep well on planes so these really help. I don't suggest ear plugs unless you're on the plane for more than 5 hours. It's embarrassing if you don't realize you've landed and the flight attendants have wake you up. It didn't happen to me, I'm just saying!

Another travel size must have is hand lotion. That recycled air always makes my skin feel tight and dry, plus the antibacterial gel won't be helping my skin either. I fortunately have tons of travel size lotions. I always seem to buy the full size versions that come with the travel sizes for free. Just make sure it's under 3 oz.

Now I always have chap stick with me wherever I go, but after a long flight you need something that boosts up those lips. I recommend some sort of lip gloss, I use Burt's Bees Super Shiny Lip Gloss in Juicy Pink. I would definitely go for one of the pink or red tones, and stay away from the nude colors. They will end up doing the opposite, blending your lips in which is not what you want to do. You want to look fresh faced when you get off that plane.

I wear flip flops from March until November and when I'm not wearing them I'm wearing my UGG's. Both of those involve not wearing socks. Now that you have to take your shoes off, you better bring something to put on your feet as you're walking through the security line. Just like airplanes, airports are also petri dishes. Gross!

Along with these items, some other things worth mentioning are:

Ibuprofen - Getting a headache on the plane sucks plain and simple. Always be prepared.

Hair ties and bobby pins - You could get hot or maybe you just need your hair to get the hell out of your face. These are always good to have on hand.

Medicine in general - It always seems that you wake up with something wrong with you on the day of your flight. Bring the appropriate medicine so you're not stuck either having an incident on the plane or buying the medicine when you land (I try to avoid buying things like that at an airport, everything is over priced).

Tissues - Recycled air, need I say more?

Books and magazines - I always take the current book I'm reading and I love to take a trashy magazine just to switch it up if I get bored. I'll usually go with US Weekly or InTouch.

Gum/Candy - If you're sensitive to the pressure always try chewing gum or eating candy. I like to bring lollipops and gummy worms.






♥ Erin

No comments: