Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Summer Reading List

After a quick mention yesterday on one of my posts about some of the books I have on my reading list, I was asked by few people to go into more detail. Some books I've found on my own, some have been recommendations from friends. So here is the list of the next few books on my agenda. Now that it's getting warm out, I'll start blowing through them fast. I love to read and lay out. I appreciate recommendations and please let me know if you've read any of these or plan to.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - Yeah I know I've been slacking on this one. It's already been made into a movie (which I haven't seen either). Usually when I get a lot of books at once, I tend to read the ones I'm really excited about first. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to read this. I just know that this is one of those emotionally draining books and I need to have time to prepare myself for that. Everyone I know has had wonderful
reviews for it. I just have to suck it up and get started.





Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay - A friend of mine recommended this to me and I'm very excited to read it. I love all books that have to do with WWII. Here's the description from Publishers Weekly: "Forty-five-year-old Julia Jarmond, American by birth, moved to Paris when she was 20 and is married to the arrogant, unfaithful Bertrand Tézac, with whom she has an 11-year-old daughter. Julia writes for an American magazine and her editor assigns her to cover the 60th anniversary of the Vél' d'Hiv' roundups. Julia soon learns that the apartment she and Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and four-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers—especially about Sarah, the only member of the Starzynski family to survive—the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself."

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks - I haven't seen the movie yet, but usually if a Nicholas Sparks book goes into production I try to read the book. It's an easy read that I can put in between two tougher reads. I read Dear John in less than 2 days.








Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith - This book was recommended to me by Borders online. After viewing my other purchases, they thought I would like this one. After some light investigating I think I'm going to commit to reading it. Part of me thinks it could be great, but another part of me is worried it's going to be cheesy. I haven't gotten any reviews from people I know yet, so if you've read it let me know! Here's a review from Amazon: "While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 140 years. Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation."
Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie - Another WWII book that I am very excited to read. However, no one recommended this to me I found it on my own. If you read my Recent Obsessions post from a couple weeks ago, you'll know that I'm addicted to The Pacific mini-series on HBO. The main character in the show is Robert Leckie who wrote this book in 1957 which Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks then adapted a large part of it(along with two others) to create The Pacific. So after 6 episodes of the show you get pretty attached to the characters and I always like to learn more. They're saying that with the success of The Pacific this book will soon be a New York Times Bestseller. Here's a description from Amazon: "Robert Leckie, one of America’s greatest military historians, was both an eyewitness and participant to some of the greatest battles in the Pacific. This is Leckie’s vivid account of combat and survival in World War II. In January 1942, in the aftermath of the infamous Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, he enlisted in the United States Marines Corps. From boot camp in Parris Island to the bloody war in the Pacific, Robert Leckie experienced it all. The booze, the brawling, the loving on sixty-two-hour liberty; the courageous fighting and dying in combat as the U.S. Marines slugged it out, inch by inch, island by island across the Pacific to the shores of Japan."

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne - I was recommended by a few friends to rent this movie which is currently on my Netflix queue along with 20 other movies. Hopefully I'll get to it sometime this year. I actually just found out it was inspired by the book. So I thought I'd give it a shot. It's a young adult read so it will be an in between book for me.







If you are a Borders Rewards member, they are having some really great online specials and free shipping on orders over $25. I was going to pre-order Avatar through them and get a few books I wanted. By the way, for the Blu Ray version of Avatar on pre-order they are offering it for $24! That's a steal!

*UPDATE* I forgot to add a book to my list. It hasn't come out yet, but I talked about it in a post earlier this month. I'll be pre-ordering it shortly, it shouldn't shock you guys at all...


The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer - Duh! Click here to read my earlier post about it.










♥ Erin

2 comments:

That's Sassy said...

Thank you for the recommendations!!!

KT said...

Erin,
Send me your email address and I'm going to let you know what books I have on my shelf to see if you want me to send you some! I have LOADS! Most of them are newly published too!