Friday, April 2, 2010

Healthy Deviled Egg Recipe

Yesterday my dad, step mom and sister (along with 2 dogs) came to visit for Easter weekend. We have so many plans for the weekend. Today while I'm stuck at work, they're going to the Air & Space Museum and tonight we're going to take them to Reston Town Center. As for Saturday, we're taking them to see the cherry blossoms and to do some sight seeing downtown. My sister has never been to DC so we have to take her to all the monuments. Next week I'll have plenty of pictures to post. Of course my step mom Cyndie is making Easter dinner for all of us. This will be our first holiday celebrated down here with family. Usually Tim and I go home to PA for all major holidays so we're very excited to stay put for Easter.

One of my Easter food staples is deviled eggs! They are a favorite appetizer of mine. Since my dad needs to lower his cholesterol and we all should be keeping an eye on our own, I found an almost cholesterol free deviled egg recipe that I wanted to share with you all. I found the recipe on Tanya Zuckerbrot's blog on That's Fit.com.


Ingredients:
1 dozen hard boiled eggs
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk green onion, minced
1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, minced (optional)
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Instructions:
1. Peel hard boiled eggs and slice in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and discard (or save for another recipe).
2. In a small bowl mash the avocados. Add the garlic, onion, jalapeno, lime juice and salt. Mix well to combine.
3. Fill the empty egg white halves with about two teaspoons of the avocado mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and chill until serving.

Serves: 12

I'll post some pictures next week of how they turned out and what they looked like. I doubt they'll be yellow like the picture the article showed. I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend. The weather is supposed be beautiful!

*UPDATE* The eggs turned out awesome!! I'm sorry to say that I didn't get a picture of them because as soon as I took them out of the fridge they were immediately inhaled by my family! The next time I make them I would probably make them a little spicier and sprinkle them with chili powder.



♥ Erin

No comments: