Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dominican Republic!


For Tim's 30th birthday coming up in June, I decided to surprise him and sweep him away to the Dominican Republic for an early birthday present. We're going for an entire week from May 8th to May 15th and I can't wait. Tim and I never got to take many vacations and they have always been within driving distance and within the US. So for his 30th I thought there was no better reason to get out of the country and take our first plane trip together. Now that we're older I wanted to start traveling more and I thought we'd kick it off by going to a place Tim has always wanted to visit. So I tricked him into getting his passport and secretly planned this vacation. I have been keeping this from him for about 6 months and I finally told him about it this weekend when his passport came in the mail. It felt so good to get that off my back!

I wish I could say the planning of this trip was super easy, but it wasn't; it was a pain in the butt. I searched for months figuring out where on the island I wanted to stay. All the coasts in the DR are different depending on your preferences. For instance the north coast has better waters for windsurfing because the seas are rougher, Punta Cana on the east coast is a great travelers destination but can be crowded and finally the south coast (where we are staying) is calmer and less visited. All I wanted was an all inclusive with white beaches, clear water and a 24 hour bar! I found that in Oasis Canoa in Bayahibe which is right next to La Romana. So once the hotel was chosen, next was waiting for the best deal to book. I constantly checked Cheap Caribbean, Expedia, Book It, Priceline, etc. I was about to cave and just book something (I would have paid whatever) when I ran across a company called Vacation Store Miami. They had the cheapest price for Oasis Canoa by far and the cheapest transfers from the airport. They even sent a note to the hotel telling them we were celebrating a birthday. You could book your flight through them as well, but I got a great deal through Orbitz separately. Plus I used my Ebates account to go through Orbitz and got some cash back too which is always a plus. Needless to say we are very excited to go. I can't wait to show you guys pictures from the trip! It will be so nice for Tim & I to just get away and be completely cut off from the rest of the world.







♥ Erin

No comments: