Monday, March 8, 2010

Book Reviews

I did get to read a couple of books the last couple months. I started reading while I was on my lunch break at work which really helped me fly through some of the books. Some were easy reads and some were hard, but I really enjoyed them all and now I want to share them with you!

It took me forever, but I finally finished The Time Traveler's Wife right before going home for Christmas. I loved it! Even though I enjoyed the movie, the book is just amazing. There was no way the movie could have captivated you like the book did. There were so many more details and side stories that movies never show. Plus it answered a lot of questions I had after seeing the movie.






I wanted to read this book the minute I saw the preview for the movie. I used to read every Nicholas Sparks book, but I got bored with them. Every story line was almost the same and they always had some character that had to overcome some great misfortune in their life. It got really old and depressing as well. After reading a few in a row, they all had sad endings and I just couldn't take it anymore. Anyway, even though this book was gut wrenching, it was just one of those great love stories that you couldn't put down. I read it in 2 days. I did see the movie after I had read the book. The movie was considerably different than the book, but I thoroughly enjoyed them both. Of course, I'll watch Channing Tatum in anything!


My girlfriend got me two books for my birthday one was Witch & Wizard and the other was the one I'm going to talk about next. I had never read a James Patterson book and I was looking forward to reading something new. It's a young adult book so it's an easy read and it has some corny lines to avoid cursing, but other than that the premise was really interesting. He left it completely open for a sequel. In fact I don't think he concluded one story line, it was left completely open. If you need a book that is an easy read and doesn't make you think too much, this is a good one for you. It's good to read in between two tougher books.




This was the other book my friend got me for my birthday. The book is fiction, but it's based on true events about the love affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and the woman he abandoned his family for. I have to say that I have a love-hate relationship with this book. After the first half of the book after you learn about the characters and the time period it gets really stagnant. I am a fast reader and I read a lot of books and this book took me a month to read. About three quarters of the way through it, I was about to put it down and never go back to it! I was telling a vendor of mine at work about it who had already read it and she told me to stick it out because the ending is really entertaining and totally worth it. Well she was completely right! I'm not going to give it away but the ending came out of left field. I was not expecting it and it left me with my mouth hanging open. I suggest reading this book with a couple other easy books. You need to take a break from it and let your mind reset. After you finish it though, there is a huge sense of bewilderment and accomplishment.


I'm currently reading A Lion Among Men which is the third book in the Wicked series. After reading Wicked and Son of a Witch this book is the easiest to read out of the three. Gregory Maguire makes up his own language in these books and sometimes it's really hard to comprehend what he's trying to say. These books are very provocative and can be graphic at times which really shocked me at first. After only ever knowing about the Wizard of Oz movie, these books leave you wondering about Gregory Maguire's imagination. I'm almost done with this book and I really like it. I recommend it to anyone who's read the other books in this series. I'm hoping it finally closes some open story lines.




If you have read any of these let me know if you enjoyed them as much as I did!

♥ Erin

2 comments:

Lindsay Bickel said...

Hey! I love that you did a book review, cause I'm always on the lookout for a new book. May I suggest the book Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay....SUPER GOOD!!! It a holocaust story (fictional one), so it is a heavy topic, but the research and storylines are very moving.

KT said...

I read a TON and am always sending my books on to other people. I list the books I read on my blog. If you want me to send you any let me know!