Thursday, October 1, 2009

Recent Recipes

This weekend I tried out 3 new recipes from the Taste of Home magazine I posted about the other week. Since Sunday was football day, I decided to make a ton of food that we could munch on throughout the day. Some I'd recommend, some I won't. I will tell you that I love trying new recipes even if they don't turn out so well. Below are some of the recipes I tried out, let me know what you think!

Dijon-Bacon Pretzel Dip
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup real bacon bits or crumbled cooked bacon
1 to 3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
Pretzels
Directions: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, bacon and horseradish. Cover and chill until serving. Serve with pretzels.
*I started the day off with this dip and I was not impressed. I felt like it was missing an ingredient like sour cream or cream cheese. Just having the mayo isn't enough to combat the mustard and horseradish flavor. Plus, the bacon doesn't even add to the flavor either. I won't make this again.

Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta
8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
1 pound ground beef
6 bacon strips, diced
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Barbecue sauce and prepared mustard, optional
Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
In the same skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Discard drippings. Drain pasta; add to the skillet. Stir in the soup, beef and bacon; heat through. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with barbecue sauce and mustard if desired.
*Tim and I loved this recipe! It was so easy to make and was also good the next day as left overs for lunch. I used whole wheat pasta since it isn't a very healthy dish and added some crushed red pepper for extra spice as well. Depending on how much pasta is used you should think about using more than 1 can of soup or add a little bit of milk to sauce it up a little more. I definitely recommend this dish!

Peanut Butter S'more Bars
1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough
3-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening
1-1/2 cups milk chocolate M&M's
Directions:
Let dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften. Cut into 24 slices; arrange side by side in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Pat together to close gaps. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned and edges are firm. Sprinkle with marshmallows; bake 2-3 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffy. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Sprinkle M&M's over marshmallow layer; drizzle with melted chocolate. Chill until set before cutting.
*The minute I saw the picture of this dessert in the magazine, I knew I had to make it! It was extremely tasty, easy to make, and involves all of my fave sweet foods! I can't wait to make it again for my next party.

♥ Erin

1 comment:

Christina said...

such yummy recipes!!! im definitely going to try them.